iZotope Ozone 9 features updates to the vintage modules, a resizable interface and much more. Let’s have a look at the new features and improvements.
Read below for a quick overview of what’s new…
Please be careful as there are 3 different versions of Ozone 9 – elements, Standard & Advanced. Make sure you check what comes in each version before committing to a purchase (make use of those free trials!).
NKS Support [ALL]
Put the power of Ozone into your creative process and master while making music with Maschine or Komplete Kontrol. Open Ozone on the fly and easily add professional polish while making music on your hardware, using hundreds of different presets and accessible parameters mapped to your hardware controls. Add loudness, width, and EQ without touching your DAW and keep the creative juices flowing.
Precisely adjust stereo width for your master using the Imager module. The Imager works with up to four frequency bands* — providing independent control over stereo width by frequency. An integrated Vectorscope and Correlation Meter give you valuable visual feedback for the mastering process, including Polar vectorscope modes and a Stereo Balance meter.
*Multi-band imaging available in Ozone Standard and Advanced only
iZotope Ozone 9 Imager Features:
- (New!) Add depth and natural-sounding stereo width to mono or very narrow mixes with two Stereoize modes: Stereoize I for a classic, colourful stereo effect, and the new Stereoize II for more transparent adjustments.
- Add width to any frequency band without causing mono compatibility problems with Antiphase Prevention.
- See the width of your mix by frequency, set crossovers, and see the effect of stereo imaging adjustments on different parts of the spectrum with Stereo Width Spectrum view.
- Easily audition your stereo signal for mono compatibility or left/right signal reversal.
EQ and Post-EQ [ALL]
EQ and Post-EQ
Ozone includes an EQ and Post-EQ (in addition to its Dynamic EQ), each with eight bands of adjustable filters and a variety of filter shapes. Use the Equalizer for initial shaping of your master, then take advantage of Post-EQ later in the signal chain.
iZotope Ozone 9 Equalizer Features:
- Choose from many digital and
analogfilter shapes including Baxandall bass and treble, API-inspired Proportional Q, Band Shelf, and resonant High and Low Shelf
- Adjust the equalization of the centre of your mix independently of the sides of your mix with Mid/Side Processing mode.
- Easily see how your EQ choices affect the signal with unique visualizations of phase delay, phase response, and group delay.
Ozone 9 Maximizer [ALL]
Ozone’s highly regarded mastering limiter features multiple modes of iZotope’s transparent limiting algorithm, IRC™. With Ozone 8, IRC IV is better than ever, with Transient and Modern modes. Get more transparent limiting with less pumping at higher volumes — ideal for times when you need to tame the kick drum peaks without causing vocals to pump, keep the subtle snap of a snare rimshot in a country single, or give a club track incredible impact. Prevent your master from clipping while dramatically lifting the perceived overall audio level, for more loudness without sacrificing crisp detail.
iZotope Ozone 9 Maximizer Features:
- Experience transparent limiting with multiple modes of the IRC™ (Intelligent Release Control) Limiter technology, now with multiple improved IRC IV modes and IRC Low Latency mode.
Learn:Automatic threshold adjustment based on a user-defined LUFS target, ideal for finding the right loudness for your preferred streaming service.
- Threshold and Ceiling Link: decrease threshold without boosting perceived level to hear the audible effect of your processing.
- Stereo Independence: independent stereo detection of “Transient” and “Sustain” portions of the signal for greater control of the stereo image.
- Get visual feedback that informs your limiting with the new Gain Reduction Trace meter’s scrolling waveform display.
Ozone 9 Track Referencing [STD,ADV]
A/B your master against reference tracks directly within any instance of Ozone or its standalone application. Now an integrated process, track referencing is easy, intelligent, and incorporated into Ozone’s workflow. Track referencing in Ozone allows you to load up to 10 tracks and will identify sections of your reference for easy playback like Verse or Chorus, so you can spend less time finding and more time mastering.
iZotope Ozone 9 Track Referencing features:
- Quickly compare and contrast your music while you’re working in any module.
- Track Segmentation: quickly analyzes your tracks on import, allowing you to play or loop any section in your references.
- Gain Slider: Adjust the overall gain of your reference tracks for better sonic comparisons.
- Waveform View: Select, loop, rename and adjust the different segments of your reference tracks with the waveform view in Track Referencing.
- Overlaid Reference Spectra: Compare the spectral characteristics of your reference tracks against your music in any module of Ozone with overlaid spectra meters.
Dynamics [STD, ADV]
Easily fine-tune dynamics with independent control for up to four audio frequency bands, each with separate limiting, compression, and expansion. A Limiter and Compressor in one, Dynamics also packs in the precision of iZotope metering, allowing you to surgically glue your mix together and add punch and energy to your master.
iZotope Ozone 9 Dynamics features:
- Intelligently automate release times with Adaptive Release mode.
- Set threshold points for the Limiter and Compressor stages with interactive Threshold control.
- Automatically set crossover frequencies with Learn mode.
- Process the centre or the sides of your audio with Mid/Side Processing mode.
- Detection Filter with high-pass and tilt modes for fine control over how the dynamics module responds to incoming audio.
- Advanced detection circuit modes with Peak, RMS, and True Envelope detection as well as variable Look-ahead time.
Exciter [STD, ADV]
Ozone’s Exciter allows you to add warmth and character to audio across any frequency band selection. Choose from multiple saturation modes including analog-inspired Tube, Retro, or Tape as well as Triode and Dual Triode modes. Further customize a saturation profile by allowing you to apply different modes to each frequency band.
iZotope Ozone 9 Exciter features:
- Choose from the
circuit-modeledTriode and Dual Triode modes or the updated Retro, Tape, Warm, or Tube modes.
- Apply targeted processing with simultaneous multiband and Mid/Side processing options.
- View excitation by
frequencywith the Saturation Spectrum display and sculpt the Exciter’s frequency output with a post filter.
- Add harmonics without drastic gain changes with natural-sounding Peak Saturation.
- Per-band Exciter modes allow you to choose a unique distortion mode for each part of the audio spectrum.
Dynamic EQ [STD, ADV]
Now in both the standard version of Ozone and Ozone Advanced, the Dynamic EQ module lives and breathes with your music. Get finer control over your sound with the precision of an equalizer and the musical ballistics of a compressor integrated into one processor. With an intuitive workflow and clearer visual feedback, Dynamic EQ is a valuable mastering tool that excels where traditional EQs and compressors fail.
iZotope Ozone 9 Dynamic EQ features:
- Choose from five filter shapes including high/low shelf, Proportional Q, Band Shelf, and Peak Bell.
- Toggle between
analogand digital modes for minimum or linear-phase processing across six independent bands.
- Access targeted dynamic equalization with Mid/Side and Left/Right processing modes.
- Intelligently adjust Attack/Release times automatically across the frequency spectrum with Auto-Scale mode.
- Dynamic nodes show the direction of your adjustments, to make it clear whether you’re expanding or cutting.
Features Available in iZotope Ozone 9 Standard and Advanced
Vintage Modules [STD, ADV]
Glue a mix together and add character with the Vintage Limiter’s analog-sounding final-stage limiting. Retain the ease and precision of digital maximizing while bringing a natural feel to harsh and digital-sounding masters. Get the silkiness, body, and nostalgic vibe of classic recordings.
iZotope Ozone 9 Vintage Limiter features:
- Inspired by the Fairchild 670 hardware limiter, famous for its silky smooth compression.
- Fine-tune the Vintage Limiter’s response to perfectly fit your source material with the Character control.
- Get visual feedback to inform your limiting with the Gain Reduction Trace meter’s scrolling waveform display.
- Backwards-compatible with Ozone 6.1 presets that made use of the “Tube” mode in the Maximizer.
With the richness, musicality, and colour of Pultec equalizers, Vintage EQ lets you brighten your master, smooth out heavy low end, and add body to your digital recordings.
With discrete frequency value selections, you can bring a musical focus to your EQ approach. Use the boost and cut controls separately – but at the same time! – for a low-shelf that boosts first, then cuts, and then levels out to smoothly avoid making your mix sound “boomy.”
iZotope Ozone 9 Vintage EQ features:
- Add the richness, warmth, and
colo u rof analogequalization to your audio.
- Models the qualities and experience of Pultec hardware equalizers for a unique, musical way to manage equalization.
- Mid/Side and Left/Right processing modes give you unprecedented control over the stereo soundstage.
The Vintage Compressor module is a single-band feedback compressor for subtle warming and sweetening effects. Featuring program-dependent release times, the compressor tailors release shapes to adapt naturally to your music. Thicken the mid-range, tighten and round out the lows, let the top sparkle, and get authentic vintage character.
iZotope Ozone 9 Vintage Compressor features:
- Program-dependent release times keep the compressor’s
processing transparent, for example:longer release times for vocals to reduce pumpingand fast release times to keep drums sounding tight and natural.
- Editable high-pass, mid-peak, and high-shelf sidechain filters let you mimic the nonlinear frequency response of vintage hardware compressors, or create unique compression effects not available in traditional hardware.
- Automatic gain compensation provides automatic makeup gain, allowing you to easily compare your mix with and without dynamics processing applied.
Ozone 8 Vintage Tape
The Vintage Tape module brings the distinctive richness and feel of tape saturation to your modern digital recordings with all the frequency colouration, distortion, and phase effects of tape. Take advantage of analog tone for masters that sound more musical with added dimension, fatness, and depth. And now with Ozone 8 Advanced, you get even more flexibility with the new 7.5 IPS setting!
iZotope Ozone 9 Vintage Tape features:
- Get the deep, natural sound and
punchylow-end response of analogtape with the convenience of a digital interface.
- Inspired by the innovative Studer A810 tape machine, known for excellent frequency response even at the critical high and low frequency range limits.
- Continuous Bias control allows for precise tuning of frequency and distortion response.
- Mix in even harmonics for warmer saturation, or leave them out for more accurate tape emulation.
- (New!) 7.5 IPS setting: A brand new non-linear saturation mode with emphasis in low-mids – perfect for adding thickness and warmth to your music.
Features in iZotope Ozone 9 ADVANCED EDITION ONLY [ADV]
Tonal Balance Control
The Tonal Balance Control plug-in is the fastest way to locate and fix frequencies in your mix that may be out of balance, so your audio can sound great in any listening environment. View high, mid, and low frequency areas against targets based on genre, or your own uploaded reference tracks. Use Broad or Fine view modes to identify problems both large and small, and solo frequencies to hear what instruments are contributing the most to your overall balance. Adjust the gain or EQ on other iZotope plug-ins directly from the Tonal Balance window while viewing the changes against your reference target, and know when your music is ready for release. Experience professional tonal balance in a fluid, resizable environment that will give you a new perspective on your sound.
- Improved! Tonal Balance Control has been updated with a resizable interface and responsive fluid metering, making it ideal for large monitors!
- Improved! See your audio against 13 genre targets, including Rock, Folk, Country, and more
- Improved! Control EQ and gain from any Neutron, Nectar, Relay, or Ozone plug-in in your session. Make mix changes and see instantly how they affect your Tonal Balance!
Ozone 9 Master Rebalance
New in Ozone 9 Advanced, Master Rebalance uses Source Separation technology to let you change the volume of vocals, drums, or bass in any audio, even a stereo bounce. It gives you the final say in a mix, letting you correct and change the levels of instruments without needing the original tracks. Give your vocals a small boost to add presence without affecting the midrange, or slightly lower the bass guitar instead of using a compressor. Correct weak-sounding drums with one small boost that can save you from hours of EQ surgery. A well-balanced mix makes any mastering engineer’s job easier—with Master Rebalance, you can nudge your sound in the right direction.
iZotope Ozone 9 Master Rebalance features:
- Master Rebalance works in real time…no need to render or bounce your tracks
- Twin spectrum meters let you see your rebalanced source against the rest of your track
- Use DAW automation with Master Rebalance to add dynamic energy during arrangement changes.
- Solve mix issues with a simple gain change, instead of trying to EQ them away!
Ozone 9 Low-End Focus
New in Ozone 9 Advanced, Low audio frequencies can be the toughest to handle in mastering. Modern mixes often have lots of energy in the low end, and using EQ and compression can lead to artifacts or loss of clarity. With Low End Focus, you can use simple controls to sharpen the edges of your bass sounds, whether they’re flabby kick drums, overwhelming synths, or boomy bass guitars. Low End Focus can also be used as a subtle effect to get that extra bit of bass “magic” and put your track over the finish line. Go in-depth with surgical controls that let you shape your tone and timbre, and bring out the best in your low end with minimal artifacts using this industry-first bass shaping tool. It’s the fastest way to a punchy, hard-hitting final master.
iZotope Ozone 9 Low End Focus Features:
- “Punchy” and “Smooth” modes let you find the right setting for percussive or sustained low end issues
- Set a Boundary region to add or remove contrast anywhere in your low end
- Use the Listen button to hear what’s being removed and avoid over-processing
Smooth and sculpt problematic and harsh frequencies with the new Spectral Shaper module. Mold your audio by applying frequency-specific dynamics, surgically or creatively, to create smooth, balanced audio. Fantastic for taming percussive transients, Spectral Shaper can tame sibilant hi-hats, harsh vocals, plucky acoustic guitars, and other overly bright mix elements. For a creative twist, use Spectral Shaper across any frequency band to experiment with timbre, resonance, and transient information without affecting other elements of the source audio.
These aren’t the only new features and tweaks included in the new iZotope Ozone 9 either so check out the links below for more information.
Check out the official video below.
If you are interested in trying out Ozone 9 then please consider going to Plugin Boutique where there are often some great freebies you can get with your purchases, and helps support Producer Life.
Official iZotope page: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/ozone.html